The Accounting Manager
leads the accounting function for the facility located near Alma, Quebec. This role is an integral part of the site’s management team. The position offers a diverse and rewarding environment and provides exposure to senior level decision making as part of the plant leadership team.
- Provide advice and guidance to the GM in the financial decision-making for the management of the mill and forestry operations;
- Management of the Accounting team;
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements and forecasting for the plant;
- Ensure financial records and system controls are in place and operating effectively, in compliance with IFRS, SOX and Company policies
- Ensure and oversee the process and preparation of the final annual budget for the plant; prepare and examine expense analysis reports for variances from plans and forecasts; determine trends for expenses and potential improvements therein; resolve anomalies and irregularities in the accounts
- Provide leadership in the management of working capital, including review and oversight of stores inventory management, and the optimization of payables without negatively impacting operations.
- Support managers in fixed asset management by: evaluating financial benefits and payback of capital projects; quantifying expected savings or returns on investment; preparing accurate monthly capital asset continuity schedules including depreciation calculations; and, post-completion project audits.
- Prepare for, manage, and support the site audits – internal and external
- Support continuous improvement initiatives and the sharing of best practices by developing KPIs and analyses that identify areas of opportunity; help communicate the results of these initiatives to the management team; assist in reporting the results of these initiatives to corporate departments
- Manage payroll, accounts payable and receivable
- Actively participate in Finance group projects, assuming the role of project leader at the site.
- Completed accounting designation (CPA, CMA, CGA, or CA)
- Familiarity with IFRS / GAAP
- Experience with computerized accounting systems, including advanced knowledge of Excel, Microsoft Dynamics AX, Longview (an asset for this position)
- Bilingual English, French (oral and written)
- Minimum five (5) years of relevant financial management experience in a manufacturing environment
- Experience with full cycle accounting, cost accounting and financial analysis
- experience in managing a team
- Strong work ethic and sound judgment
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Be recognized as a good communicator
- Flexibility to manage change positively
- Ability to multitask through planning and organizing
- Take initiative and feel comfortable solving problems